Alligators are frequently seen in around the golf course lagoons and other freshwater ponds on Bald Head Island. Alligators are considered a threatened species and are an important part of the Bald Head Island ecosystem.
- Fishing and swimming are prohibited in all lagoons and freshwater ponds on BHI.
- Do NOT feed alligators. It is a violation of Village ordinance, state and federal laws. Feeding alligators causes them to lose their natural fear of humans. Alligators that are fed are more likely to attack pets and humans.
- Do not leave children or pets unattended in areas where alligators live.
- Alligators can jump 4 feet vertically out of the water. Observe them from a safe distance (20 feet or more away).
- A $500 fine will be issued to anyone found feeding or harassing alligators.
Source: BHI Conservancy