Bald Head Island FAQs

What if there is an emergency and I need to get to the hospital?

All of the Village’s Public Safety Officers are trained in law enforcement, fire, emergency medical services, AND water rescue.  They are on duty 24 hours seven days a week.  The department has two Quick Response Vehicles (QRVs) which are fully equipped and can travel quickly all over the island. At least one QRV is on patrol at all times.  Once the Village’s responders arrive at a call, they will assess the situation and determine if the next ferry needs to be commandeered for travel inland or if a medevac helicopter needs to be called.  The Village has two designated helicopter landing locations.

Regardless of the specific need, if you need a Public Safety Officer to come to you, CALL 911.  This is how our Public Safety Officers respond to ALL emergencies and calls for service. When you call, let operator know you are on Bald Head Island.  

What if I have a medical issue that is not an emergency?

During the peak season, Dosher Memorial Hospital operates a clinic for walk-in illnesses and minor injuries.  The clinic is located at the Village’s Public Safety Building which is located at 273 Edward Teach Extension.  This year the clinic will be open from May 31, 2022, through September 2, 2022, Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Patients are encouraged to call and make an appointment before visiting the clinic at (910) 457-5252. Sick patients are to call from the parking lot before coming in. Masks are required to be worn while inside the building.

Can I bring my bike to get around?

YES, you will need to purchase an Over-Sized Baggage ticket at the Deep Point Marina ticket window.  This larger item will need to be taken, along with the Over-Sized Baggage ticket, to the arrivals curb where a dock attendant will take your bike and ticket.  

Are there any places to eat?

YES, please view the Island Directory for this information.  

Are there any places to shop?

YES, please view the Island Directory for this information.

Can you set off fireworks on BHI?

NO,  Village ordinance prohibits the possession and/or use of fireworks without a special permit by the county (Sec. 16-81). This includes sparklers!

Sec. 16-81. Pyrotechnics restricted.    The possession and/or use within the confines of the village of pyrotechnics by any individual except by special permit of the county is declared unlawful. Violation of this section shall be a civil violation punishable by a civil fine of $100.00. Any individual cited for violation of this section shall pay the civil penalty at the office of the village clerk within 48 hours of the issuance of the citation. In addition, violation of this section shall constitute a class 3 misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $500.00 and/or imprisonment pursuant to G.S. 14-4. Nothing in this section shall prevent the village from taking such other lawful action as is necessary to prevent or remedy any violation.

Can dogs go on the beach?

YES, but they must be on a leash during turtle season (May 1 – November 15).  The Village also has a dog park located at 230 Bald Head Wynd.  You may wish to review this ordinance before bringing your dog to Bald Head Island. 

Is there a handicap beach access?

The Village is constructing a new access with a ramp in 2022. It will be located between Beach Accesses #15 and #17. Until this access is completed emergency vehicle accesses can be used (#11, #24B, #35, #42). BA #42 would be the shortest path to the beach (click HERE for a map of the beach accesses).  The Village also has a handicapped beach wheelchair available upon request on a first-come-first-served basis.  Contact the Public Safety Department at (910) 457-5252 for more information. 

Can you have bonfires on the beach?

It depends on the time of the year.
Between May 1 and November 15th – The director of public safety may issue up to two burn permits in a single day to commercial entities ONLY. Village ordinance prohibits the Public Safety Department from issuing open burning permits to individuals between May 1 and November 15.
Between November 16th and April 30th – Burning is allowed by permit only (Sec. 12-55 (c)).  Click HERE for more information about beach bonfire permits. Contact the Public Safety Department at (910) 457-5252 if you have any questions.

Can you have tents on the beach?

YES, but like all other equipment on the beach, it must be removed by its owner or permitted user between the hours of 9:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m. year-round.  See the Village’s beach equipment ordinance for more information. 

Can you have a wedding on the beach?

A permit is not required to have a wedding on the public beach at Bald Head Island. We ask that if you do have a wedding, that you leave the beach in the condition that you found it. The Village also rents out two locations for events (off the beach), the Marina Park and Common Park which offer ideal settings for weddings and/or receptions. Click HERE for more information. 

Can kids drive golf carts on BHI?

NO, all golf carts on Bald Head Island must be driven by a licensed driver.  The rules of the road for the State of North Carolina apply to the roads on Bald Head Island, regardless of the type of vehicle.  This also includes no open alcohol containers and no driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.  Click HERE for some golf cart safety tips. 

Can I fly my drone at Bald Head Island?

YES, drones (Unmanned Aircraft Systems) are permitted provided you are abiding by the laws and regulations of the State of North Carolina and the Federal Aviation Administration.  Launching and recovery are allowed on Village property and the public beach.  We ask that if you do fly a drone you respect the privacy and tranquility of others. The most frequent complaints about drones are concerning noise and flying too low.  

Do I need a fishing license to fish at BHI?

YES, you will need a saltwater fishing license which can be purchased HERE.  Fishing is prohibited in the island’s lagoons and freshwater ponds because this is considered feeding the alligators which is prohibited. 

Is there a notary on the island?

YES, several Village employees are public notaries. Most of them work at Village Hall, so if you are looking for a notary, go to Village Hall first. There is no charge for this service if performed by a Village employee.