Ian will continue to track toward the Carolinas and the storm will bring a variety of impacts to the area today and tonight. Ian is forecast to make landfall along the SC coast as a hurricane (Category 1) later today. View the latest briefing from the National Weather Service HERE. Below are the key takeaways.
- Strong winds will continue to move into the area today and persist into tonight, with improving conditions during Saturday.
- Dangerous surge is expected today. Surge inundation is likely, with the worst surge impacts expected during the high tide approximately around 11:15 AM EDT (various some by location).
- Heavy rainfall is likely with flash flooding possible today and tonight. Flooding will be especially pronounced near low-lying and other prone locations.
- A few tornadoes are possible, with the risk increasing this morning and persisting into tonight.
- Very hazardous marine conditions will continue through Saturday.
Bald Head Island Transportation, Inc. has announced the following:
Ferry Services are Suspended
Due to severe weather from Hurricane IAN, ferry services are suspended Friday morning 9/30/22. We will evaluate conditions throughout the day to determine when it is safe to resume operations.
Please monitor their website for updates. Please prepare for the possibility that there will be no ferry runs today.
Essential public safety staff is on-island to respond. Please call 911 if you need assistance. Other Village staff is working remotely or on standby. Crews are ready to mobilize to clear Village wynds of any debris after the storm passes and as soon as the ferries are operational.
The suspension of the ferry service will impact the delivery of the USPS mail today. We expect that the earliest the Village will be able to put it up will be tomorrow (Saturday).
If your power goes out here is some guidance:
- Call Duke Energy if your power is out or text OUT to 57801. The outage map is based on customer calls. Keep the outage number handy it is 1-800-419-6356.
- If you are able to get on the internet, check the outage map for estimated restoration time and updates HERE.
- Sign up for Duke Energy alerts by texting REG to 57801 or enroll online HERE for text, phone, or email alerts.
- More power outage tips at Ready.gov HERE.