- Labor Day weekend info – BHI Transportation Ferry Schedule & Village Hall and IPC/PO closed Monday.
- Drones will be flying beginning on 9/7 to help identify beach vitex.
- Meet your new Village Postmaster – you may have already met!
- 2020 Census – the deadline is quickly approaching, please respond if you have not yet done so!
- REMINDERS: Today was the last day the Dosher Clinic was open this season, trash service will go to one day a week pick up starting Monday, please have your vegetative storm debris out.
Labor Day Weekend – We hope everyone has a fun and safe Labor Day weekend! Please remember that the ferry is still operating with a 75-passenger limit. Since it will be a very busy weekend prepare for some waiting and possible bumping. BHI Transportation Inc. added an extra passenger ferry today and Monday, see the schedule HERE. Village offices and the Island Package Center and Post Office will be closed on Monday (IPC/PO is open tomorrow on its normal hours).
Drone Flights – Bald Head Island Conservancy plans to begin drone mapping for beach vitex next week (starting September 9). It is anticipated to take about 6 weeks and they will be out 3 times a week for about 1-2 hours. They expect to start at Beach Access 1 and wrap around to the West, then do South Beach. For the most part, the drone will fly high and will be unnoticed. The pilot is required to have a line of sight with the drone at all times and it will not be flown over water, in windy conditions, or in heavy rain. For more information about beach vitex and the Conservancy’s efforts to eradicate it on the island, view their video HERE. Photos of homes will be kept confidential.
New Village Postmaster – Gina Hinson has accepted the Village Postmaster position. Hinson has worked for the Village for a little over four years and served as an administrative assistant in Village Hall. She was selected as the 2019 Village Employee of the Year. Hinson started her new position in the IPC/PO last week. Future correspondence regarding utility billing should go to email@example.com and phone calls should go to Daralyn Spivey, Village Clerk (910-457-9700 ext. 1001). Congratulations again, Gina!
2020 Census – North Carolina’s response rate for the 2020 Census is still lagging far behind other states. Currently, NC stands to lose more than 1.5 trillion in federal dollars based on the current census completion rate. The September 30th deadline will be here before we know it.
What can you do?
• Make sure you have completed the 2020 Census. You can respond to the Census online at https://my2020census.gov/, over the phone by calling 844-330-2020, or through the paper questionnaire received in the mail.
• Ask your friends and family members if they have completed the 2020 Census.
• Send a note to your neighborhood listserv, NextDoor community, or Facebook group.
• Ask your religious institutions, schools, and other community facilities if they can remind people to fill out the 2020 Census using their displays.
• Write to local newsletters you receive and ask them to add a paragraph about the Census.
Dosher Clinic – Today was the last day the Dosher Clinic will be operating this season. Please call 911 if you are experiencing a medical emergency or if you need assistance from Public Safety. Let the operator know that you are on Bald Head Island. If you are experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19, please call 911.
Trash Service – Trash service will go to one day a week pick-up starting Monday.
Storm Debris – Please have your vegetative storm debris out on the side of the primary road fronting your property. To-date our debris removal contractor has pick-up approximately 5,000 cubic yards of debris.