Current Forecast: Esla is now expected to weaken to a depression when it makes its closest approach just west of our area on Thursday.
What to Expect:
- Heavy rain across may produce isolated flash flooding tonight through Thursday evening.
- Isolated tornadoes are also possible late tonight into Thursday.
- A few wind gusts of 30 to 40 mph are possible late tonight through Thursday afternoon especially within any heavier bands of showers/thunderstorms.
- Dangerous swells will result in a high rip current risk.
- Conditions should improve by Thursday evening as the system moves to the northeast away from the area. However, the rip current risk will likely remain elevated into Friday.
Because of the wind associated with this system, it is advised that property owners tie down outdoor items if you have not already done so. As noted above, there is a high risk of rip currents associated with this system. Do not swim if you are uncertain if it is safe to do so. Stay connected to your trusted weather source for further developments and remain cautious as conditions could become increasingly hazardous. The latest briefings from the National Weather Service Wilmington office can be viewed HERE.
Transportation: Bald Head Island Transportation, Inc. announced that although it is unlikely, ferry service may possibly be impacted tomorrow beginning afternoon for a few hours when winds are predicted to be in the mid-twenties.
Bald Head Island Transportation, Inc. has also indicated that they will be unable to provide barge services most, if not all day tomorrow. This means that any FedEx and UPS packages received at Deep Point tomorrow will not make it to the Island Package Center until the barge is running again, which will likely be Friday.
Duke Energy: Duke Energy is preparing for TS Elsa and has reached out to the Village and its customers and indicated that their meteorologists are closely monitoring Tropical Storm Elsa and its potential impacts on our area. They are checking equipment, supplies, and inventories to ensure they have adequate materials to make repairs and restore power outages. If you experience an outage, please report it on their website or through their mobile app, text OUT to 57801, or call 800.419.6356.
Village Personnel: If the forecast calls for more severe weather or if conditions deteriorate, the Village may reduce departmental staff to essential personnel only.