Existing Commercial Site Plan Analysis
Welcome to the Village of Bald Head Island’s Existing Commercial Site Plan Analysis website (formerly the Commercial Area Master Plan).
The Village is preparing a site plan analysis for all commercially zoned properties on the Island. The purpose of the analysis is to create a framework to guide future commercial development related to buildings, parking, vehicular and pedestrian circulation, stormwater, and landscaping. The analysis may result in recommendations for enhancing the existing Code of Ordinances.
A committee has been appointed by the Village Council comprised of volunteers from the community with whom property owners can share interests, opinions, and concerns.
Commercial Area Planning Task Force
- David Wray (planning board)
- Kevin Arata, Chair (in between long-term and new owner)
- Chris Shank (institutional)
- David Beam (long-term property owner)
- Nathan McBrayer (newer property owner)
- Dianne Reid (alternate)
Below is an overview of the activities that have taken place so far:
- November 9, 2022 – CAMPC Kickoff Meeting. Members were sworn-in. The planning consultant gave a presentation. A roundtable discussion/interview session with the committee members and commercial stakeholders was facilitated by the planning consultants. See the presentation and minutes in the blue box to the right (PC) or below (Phone/Tablet).
A survey was provided to commercial stakeholders and made available to the public in hard copy at the IPC/PO and online from November 14 – November 31.
- December 5, 2022 – Walkabout with Committee, various stakeholders of marina, historic district, mid-island, Conservancy/East Beach area.
- Various times (Dec/Jan) – Work sessions took place to review walkabout input and ensure all received input was included in the draft site plan analysis.
- January 27, 2023 – Formal CAMPC meeting (all members present, with Nathan McBrayer on phone). The meeting was open to public. The committee approved the minutes from Nov. 9 and Dec. 5. The committee reviewed its roles and responsibilities, the input from the Dec. 5 walkabout, and reviewed the input from over 200 surveys submitted by island property owners and stakeholders.
- February 16, 2023 – The proposed Master Plan Presentation (Existing Site Plan Analysis) was given by the planning consultant (Cole, Jenest & Stone), the committee provided its recommendations for the analysis and its recommended future actions for the Village Council (view Chair Arata’s statements HERE) and the committee received comments from the public.
Members of the public who were not able to attend the meeting were given an opportunity to send comments to the CAMP Committee. Comments were received through Friday, March 3, 2023.
- March 1, 2023 – Commercial Area Master Plan was renamed Existing Commercial Site Plan Analysis. The name of the committee will remain the same in order to keep its formation under the existing Village policy.
- March 17, 2023 – The Commercial Area Master Plan Committee was renamed the Commercial Area Planning Task Force by the Village Council.
THANK YOU to all who submitted comments to the Committee.
Schedule (subject to change)
Kick-off Meeting November 9, 2022
November 9, 2022
Walking/Site Tour Meeting
December 5, 2022
Schematic Master Plan
2nd week in January
January 27, 2023
Proposed Master Plan Presentation
February 16, 2023
Chair Arata’s Statements
A Message from the Mayor – March 6, 2023, In follow-up to the comments received.
Existing Commercial Site Plan Analysis Comments from the Public
March 20, 2023
March 31, 2023